Have you ever wished that teaching kids to do their home-work was not an uphill task? It surely isn’t easy to teach kids, but it’s not something that you or me can’t do either.
It is a common sight nowadays to see kids returning home from school with a bag full of books. They are fatigued, hungry, and unwilling to get back to studies. They are loaded with home – work, assignments etc, which they are not willing to do.
With studies becoming tougher day by day, parents are required to teach their kids the correct way to study. Teaching kids the right way to do their homework is something that even the teachers should teach at school, especially if they don’t already. A correct method needs to be taught to the kids, helping them cope with tougher times ahead.
What then should be the correct way to teach kids? Every parent would have their own way of teaching their kids. However, teaching kids to follow a systematic, planned, disciplined and correct method of doing their homework is very important.
Tips for Teaching Kids to Do Their Home-Work
- Make them follow a daily schedule for studies.
- On returning from school, help them wash or bathe and change their clothes, followed by a light snack.
- Let them watch TV or play for a while if they want to relax and ease out a bit. Thereafter, they should switch the TV off, go and sit straight on a study table, with proper lighting and no other form of disturbance. Such kind of atmosphere is needed for them to concentrate in their home – work.
- Kids should not be helped with their homework. Many parents tend to hurry up the process by doing the homework for their children, not realizing that they are actually in turn harming them.
- Parents do not have the patience nowadays to sit with the kids and help them in their homework. Parents make the kids dependent on them for doing their homework. In later years, such kids are unable to complete the homework without their parents help.
- You do need to guide and help them, when the kids are in doubt or need your help. Let them try doing the homework on their own, and show it you. Encourage them for their good work and help them ascertain their mistakes and rectify them, which will help them learn instantly.
- While teaching kids, rather than scolding or demeaning them, spare a few moments and show them the correct way of doing their homework.
- Another important point parents tend to miss while teaching kids is revision. Kids need to revise all that they have learnt at school, once again at home. This ascertains proper learning and reinforcement. Whether learning work was given for homework or not, parents should assure their kids learn all that was done in the class. This could be done orally or by a written test. Moreover, when the kids grow up, weekly revision tests at home, help them fair well at school.
Simple things like correct posture, holding the pencil with a proper grip, correct manner of speaking and writing etc, all need guidance. We parents are the teachers at home, so take charge of your kids, love, and help them discover themselves.
Over to you –
Are you good at teaching kids to do their home-work? Do you help them with their home-work or let them do it themselves? Share in the comments below.
Photo Credit: Kakisky
Posted on: December 30th, 2010
Last Updated on: March 17th, 2015