9 Things You Should Do For a Happy Relationship

- | 103 Aha! comments | Posted in category: Love & Relationships

A couple in happy relationship

Are you happy in the relationship with your partner or spouse? Do you still feel as close and comfortable with your partner as you did in your earlier days?

It’s a fact that any relationship undergoes various phases and has its shares of ups and downs. Nevertheless, you can make it a happy relationship by making some efforts.

I’ve written earlier about how to create healthy relationships. Basically, there’s one magic potion that works for all kinds of relationships.

Want to know what is that magic?

Whether its friendship, romantic, or marital relationship, they all need LUCK to make them work. Of course it’s not luck as in luck. 🙂

LUCK is love, understanding, care, and kindness!

If you want to know more about LUCK then read my post Do You Have the LUCK Factor in Your Life.

However, to make your relationship happy, you need to know the elements of a happy relationship.

People at Happify did a research and came out with their findings in the form of an infographic.

They beautifully depicted what makes a relationship happy and what are the causes of unhappiness in it.

Keep thinking while you carefully observe the infographic, and then read my analysis. 🙂

“If you want to have a happy relationship, don’t try to change the other person. Accept your differences.” ~ Unknown

The Science Behind a Happy Relationship

Infographic about happy relationship tips

9 Tips for a Happy Relationship

Now, what do you think is necessary to be happy in a relationship?

I’m sure you’ve understood everything. All you need to do now is to start implementing the suggestions.

You know the ingredients of a happy relationship and now you can create the magic potion yourself to enjoy your relationship with your partner.

However, I’m going to list out all the elements of a happy relationship from this infographic, which will help define in practical ways what a happy relationship is all about.

Remember these are tips to stay happy in a relationship and do everything that is listed below. Are you ready?

DO READ: What Makes a Healthy Relationship Work

1. Interact positively

Positive interaction is a must for a healthy and peaceful relationship. It’s no brainer to conclude that positive interaction brings happiness and negative relationships cause unhappiness.

What you can do

This infographic suggests good ways to interact positively. Additionally, try these three simple things:

Compliment, Appreciate, and Greet your partner often. Now, isn’t that a good way to begin your relationship on a positive note?

2. Be good friends

Become good friends with your partner and ensure your friendship is of quality.

Love is not enough and romance is not sufficient to bring happiness in your relationship if you and your partner are not friends.

What you can do

Simple. Just be with your partner as you are with your friends. Be casual, be free, and be open. Remember to do these three things in your relationship:

Accept your differences, respect your partner for what and how he or she is, and have fun!

3. Communicate with your partner

I’m sure you agree that good communication is the back bone of any relationship.

Keep talking no matter what. Communication acts as a bridge to connect you to your partner.

What you can do

Of course, you need to talk. Besides that – try to do these three things to build and maintain a good rapport.

Listen to your partner, share your problems, and even use the non-verbal forms of communication like hugs and kisses! How often do you do that?

4. Create personal bonds

It takes more than love for personal bonding. You need to express your love and show that you really care.

What you can do

As depicted in the infographic, sex is one aspect of keeping a relationship lively and personal. Other than that, try these three things to create a happy relationship.

Get more intimate and show your love, do the things that your partner likes, and go for outings and other recreational stuff that helps you both bond better.

5. Share experiences

Sharing experiences helps develop trust that is so crucial in a happy relationship.

You feel more close, connected, and comfortable with your partner. Of course, this also helps in enhancing your personal bonding.

What you can do

It’s reliving experiences with your partner or even revealing your secrets in these three ways:

Share your personal life experiences, your account of social experiences with your friends, and your professional experiences with colleagues – with your partner.

6. Complete each other

You and your partner should not only be complementing one another, but also completing each other.

Consider your partner as a part of you, your other half, or as they say ‘better half’. Do for your partner what you would want them to do for you or what you would do for yourself.

What you can do

When you are with your partner, you look for companionship and solidarity. You want unasked help to help you improve, grow, and excel.

Do these three things to complete your partner:

Motivate your partner to help him or her give their best. Be a positive critic to improve on aspects of progress, and give unconditional support for everything your partner does. 🙂

7. Enjoy happy moments

Who doesn’t like happy moments in life? These are more than essential to have a happy relationship. Such moments are filled with acts and experiences of sharing, caring, and loving.

What you can do

Just being together is good enough to share and enjoy happy moments in life. However, it will help if you and your partner together indulge in these three things:

Share jokes, funny incidents, and laugh together often. Celebrate events that matter to your partner, and dine or visit places together to cherish your togetherness.

8. Understand each other

No relationship works without mutual understanding.

Know the ways and habits of your partner and understand him or her inside out, to have a happy relationship.

What you can do

Try to understand your partner as much as you can. Do these three things:

Find out the likes and dislikes of your partner and that will help you take better care. Use your empathy to delve deep into your partner’s heart, and try to understand the values and life philosophy of your partner.

9. Fight right

Every couple fights, and every relationship has disputes, so there’s neither anything new or wrong in that. But what matters is how you handle it the right way.

What you can do

Keep in mind that your love is greater than your disputes and differences.

The wrinkles in a relationship can be ironed out, but if things burn, then you cannot carry on.

So, don’t let your fights make you enemies by doing these three things:

Always be reasonable with your disagreements. Never cross limits to intentionally hurt your partner, and always compromise as your fight should not be about winning a battle!

MUST READ: Rekindle Love in Marriage in 10 Practical Ways

Do implement these tips for a happy relationship to develop love, even if your relationship was not based on love.

To love your partner, you need to be happy with yourself. If you and your partner are happy with your own selves, then your relationship will be filled with happiness.

You’re then going to be kind, honest, and loyal. But remember that you always need to work on your relationship to make it better.

Spend as much time together as possible, and if you can’t, then spend quality time together.

I know how it is with working couples. Vinay and I too experience the same problems at times in our relationship.

However, you’ve to somehow take out time for your partner from your business and busyness of life, to work on the relationship and save your marriage as well! 🙂

I hope you enjoyed the infographic and the happy relationship tips as well. I’m sure you have more tips to share and add to this list.

Also do read some other articles on the web here and here if you want to know more to bring happiness into your life.

RELATED READ: How to Find Happiness in a Marriage

Share Your Thoughts:

What do you do for a happy relationship? What are your tips to be happy in a relationship? Share in the comments.

Photo Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos

Show Comments

103 Comments - Read and share thoughts

1. Naresh

2014-09-12 at 11:44 pm

Hi Harleena,

Glad to discover your blog. Loads of good posts… I am trying to learn from such blogs.

For happy relationships, I believe first we have to envision what a happy relationship means to us.. i.e. use our imagination and create it mentally. Second we have many invisible scripts which are responsible for the mess in our lives. We need to identify and address them.

Third, enroll the partner in the possibility of a happy relationship. Can’t clap with one hand. And then start will small things first, where you give the other person selflessly. Will be hard initially, but eventually will bring great results. My 2c.

2. adil memon

2014-09-12 at 6:55 pm

hi hareena i liked ur article its jus awesommme hats off

3. Hashmi

2014-09-12 at 1:57 pm

I would say that I’m in a solid relationship although, there’s always room for improvement.I think basic nature of relationship in every type of relation is same if you accept your partner with all his pluses and minuses you will never complain of anything living together

4. Alison Phillips

2014-09-12 at 8:49 am

Harleena: I am consistently amazed at the quality of the posts, but MORE that you make time to individually answer the people who comment. I love reading blogs but usually never expect anything from a comment, except to air it. Sometimes it feels better just letting feelings take flight after being inspired by something a person took the time to write out… but it means a lot more knowing that the poster reads the comments. Even SOME of them. Some blogs get thousands and there’s no way anyone has that kind of time to read every single one, but really… you do such a great job here, and I’m so glad to read yet another wonderful post from you. You’re one of my favorite bloggers for sure.

5. Happy

2014-09-12 at 5:57 am

Wow this is a great article on a happy relationship. Really Love this. Thanks for sharing

6. Naveen Rajput

2014-09-10 at 12:05 am

Hello Harleena
    Very nice and lovely post on happy relationship.
    After reading the 9 things you mentioned above that one should do to ensure a happy relationship.Thank you so much for this article. I always find studies on relationships very interesting. I would say that I’m in a solid relationship — although, there’s always room for improvement.I think basic nature of relationship in every type of relation is same if you accept your partner with all his pluses and minuses you will never complain of anything living together

7. AJ Walton

2014-09-09 at 6:40 pm

Great infographic! Love seeing all that research in one easily accessable place.

I’ve often wondered – ever since reading about the fact that having a child statictically decreases the happpiness of couples – if there’s anything a couple can reliably do to not fall into this category. Surely some people must have found a way – but I’ve yet to read any meaningful studies.

I think one of the core principles that governs our happiness in relationships is taking responsibility for ourselves. We can’t always cheer up our partners and we won’t always make them happy, but we can stay positive and open!

8. Shiwangi Peswani

2014-09-09 at 2:58 pm

Hey Hareena, wonderful post. I would like to add one more tip to your wonderful list and that is giving space to each other. I guess giving space is very very important to maintain happy relationship. What say ?

9. Monika Sharma

2014-09-08 at 11:20 am

Really Nice ! These are really wonderful & Amazing Tips to be happy in Relationship ! I must say Relationship is power of life but people couldn’t handle relationship in life ! Which makes life more hell ! I go to this post to be Happy in relationship ! I will must follow all the dates of our relationship Those are important & will must take care of my Partner in relationship.

10. Jeeshan

2014-09-06 at 4:27 am

It is amazingly “WOW”.
    I never thought such Even I am still single 🙁
    but I appreciate your contents.
    keep writing.:)

11. AAmir Awan

2014-09-04 at 4:19 pm

Your post is really great to build a happy relationship but if both persons are meet with each other requirements then their relationship is best relationship in world. You really done a great job, keep it up.

12. Rohan Bhardwaj

2014-09-02 at 7:32 pm

Hi,

This is indeed a great find, if all those who read this article apply it, there will be more happy couples than ever before.

In short, the desire to maintain a happy relationship should start from within. If one is not concerned, then it is bound to fail.

Love is often a mystery, you never know how it will turn up, but taking precautions are something we can do at best. incredible post.

13. Talal

2014-08-30 at 11:24 pm

Hey Harleena,
    Good solution for happy relationship with the life partner. But the better thing is, I am not married nor I have any girlfriend. So, I am relieved of all the headaches of bond with the better half.

14. Leena Shah

2014-08-30 at 6:34 pm

Hi Harleena,
    This is Great It is so easy to ignore a good relationship. When everything is going well you move your focus to business or school or other areas of life. Yet a good relationship continues to need nurturing to grow and stay balanced.
    All of your points are important, and I like the “exercises” that you provide to encourage implementation.
    Awesome And Wonderfull post!

15. Neeraj

2014-08-30 at 3:33 am

All the things are nicely explained especially the point in which you mentioned about the creation of bond and sharing things are the ones that one often lags in today’s generation. They create a short time bond and soon after they would be like that relation does not mean to them anything.

16. Anshul

2014-08-30 at 3:28 am

These are just amazing things that you have told in the above post. But one thing that often happen with us is despite of having all these things in mind we get into trouble of getting some loose points in one’s relationship. Like one does not everytime get time to communicate properly and like if its long distance then this problem emerges too much. So can you please suggest us something for that?

17. Soumen Siddhanta

2014-08-29 at 11:02 am

Thank you very much Madam for this beautiful post. All the points are awesome.

It’s so simple to get lost in your partner’s world when you are deeply in love with the person. You can occasionally lose who you’re and adapt your life around your partner. It is extremely important to keep parts of your lives different. Even when you spend most of the time together, spend a minimum of one day with your pals or your other family members. Do an action that you love doing alone. Loving yourself despite being in a loving relationship can be one among the best gifts you can give to your relationship.

18. himanshu

2014-08-20 at 10:53 am

Nice tips surely i think they will work for me , as it’s easy to build relationship than to maintain

19. gurvijain

2014-08-19 at 5:12 pm

hey Harleena,
    very nice sharing.I love all the points given by you. Now a day stress is also factor affecting the relationships. By reading your blog any one can make the changes in his/her life.
    Thanks for such nice post.

20. donna merrill

2014-08-18 at 8:55 pm

Hi Harleena,

I must say that all you have mentioned above will lead to a happy marriage!

I was married twice before my marriage with David. I do believe that to have a happy marriage, I had to take a good look at myself and understand my needs.

I realized that the previous marriages were not made on a good foundation. I didn’t know “me” and that was the problem.

Now, as I write, it has been 24 years with David and it is a happy marriage. We support one another with every “triumph” we make. The small stuff to the big stuff!

Arguments, well the do pop up, but because we just hate it if we hurt one another, they are usually settled quickly. We are pretty quiet and will argue a point quietly. We never put in the “blame game” nor do we put one another down at all. We stick to the point until it is resolved.

I think that having a good sense of humor is important too in a marriage. We laugh together every day. And you know that saying “Laughter is the best medicine!”

These points you have shared above will lead to a happy marriage!

-Donna

21. Peter Kanayo

2014-08-16 at 1:28 am

Harleena, great write. For me the most important thing in relationship is love, tolerance and ability to say sorry.

Being able to say sorry is a powerful tool to ensuring relationship last for a longtime

22. Shivkumar

2014-08-15 at 12:26 am

Hiee,

Nice Inforgraphic, I agree with your tips to keep relationship healthy.
    If both partner are fighting then they should make sure that their fight don’t last longer.

After the fight they must take the magical medicine called as ‘SORRY’. It will make the things easier and smooth.

Just don’t let the ego come in your relationship and enjoy your life with your partner.

Thanks for sharing this tips.
    Happy Independence Day! 🙂

>SK Lohar

23. Angela McCall

2014-08-13 at 2:34 pm

Hi Harleena,

Nowadays, one out of two marriages end up in divorce. It’s very hard to maintain a happy relationship in this day and age. Friendship, like you said, is one of the greatest way to keep a happy relationship.

It’s always good to be “friends” first because if there is no friendship then it’s hard to keep the communication going. If a couple fight, they can at least communicate like friends and discuss things out in the bedroom and still remain friends.

And that’s why I think couple should abstain from sex while they are dating until they develop this friendship and communication. Most of our problems cannot be solved in the bedroom but by understanding one another, and that only can be done through communication.

Anyway girlfriend, enjoy the rest of the week!

Angela

• Harleena Singh

2014-08-13 at 7:18 pm

Hi Angela,

That’s true, and the saddest part of it all. I’m always amazed at the stats of the divorce rates, especially in the U.S., though it’s catching up all over now.

You have to be good friends with your partner before you proceed into any further relationship, or else how do you both connect? Communication IS the key to a happy relationship too, so that you can express yourself and talk out, whether you share your joys or sorrows – talking always helps I feel. That’s why I mentioned the last point as fighting right, so that your conflicts too can be handled in a decent manner 🙂

I agree with you there, though I wonder how many can really do that…lol…seems to the first thing that comes to their minds, at least in the case of some couples!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us. Have a nice week ahead as well 🙂

• Angela McCall

2014-08-14 at 2:35 am

Nowadays, the world is liberated. The word “FREE” for all is really not free but you pay for the consequences. The world has gone out to follow their ways and turn their back from God. Become more selfish and lovers of themselves rather than lovers of God. God hasn’t change. And I believe if there is a God in a couple’s relationship, it is much stronger.

“Three cords are better than two.” Notice that when a rope is only in two cords wrapped together, the rope is NOT strong. It is loose and can fall easily. However a rope that is in “three cords” can HOLD much, much STRONGER and much, much LONGER.

I think the key to relationship is having God in their life and believing the same thing. If the couple is bond in unequally yoke such as, one is a believer and the other is an atheist, the relationship or marriage will not last. Others (mostly the believer) continues believing while the other is an atheist, in God’s help…IN TIME that marriage *might* work only if ONE is faithful to God. Positive thinking alone in marriage doesn’t work. I know I’ve tried it and it didn’t work. There has to be some “spiritual” connection there somehow to make it work, to make it LAST.

I don’t believe in having 50-50 in a relationship. I believe giving yourself 100% and so as vice versa. If that’s the case then relationship tend to SURVIVE better.

Angela

24. Neamat Tawadrous

2014-08-12 at 10:27 pm

Hi Harleena,

Great Post and so much needed nowadays!!

A happy relationship happens because two people who love each other enough are willing to invest time and energy into building a happy relationship. I so appreciate that you said a happy life happens by making some efforts. I get disgusted by those spouses who take their partners for granted and think that they have to accept whatever they do and whatever comes out of their mouth. No, happy relationships need work from day 1 on wards, it is a journey that both partners have to work hard to keep it healthy, if they want to be happy in it.

I liked all your 9 suggestions and it is a great guide to follow. Learning how to be happy in a relationship can be difficult and we need reminders from time to time.

Thanks Harleena for sharing a great topic with us and the infographic is awesome and has lots of lessons embedded. Have a great week ahead.

Be Blessed,

Neamat

• Harleena Singh

2014-08-13 at 7:03 pm

Hi Neamat,

Absolutely! I felt the same way and thought of writing on it as soon as I saw this infographic 🙂

Yes indeed, the key to a happy relationship IS the effort both partners put into making things work because they want to make it work.

I think with time, especially when the couples have been living with each other for long, they tend to take each other for granted, though I wish this wasn’t the case.

I know it’s not easy to bring happiness in our relationships because you have two different people who are in it together, but unless you make the effort, it doesn’t really work. I hope these ways help in some ways.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us. Hope you have a lovely get-away break or vacation too, and see you once you are back now. 🙂

25. Ravi Chahar

2014-08-12 at 5:24 pm

Hi Harleena,

Though I don’t have experience of any relationship like this but still I need to learn for future.

Personally I think in a relationship friendship is necessary. If both the persons are friend then there will not be much difficulty to manage.

Misunderstandings happen in every relationships, some may lead to divorce. People need to have patience and try to know every aspect carefully.

Money is also an important factor. Many couples have fights due to lack of money.

These kind of posts may help me for my future.

Have a nice weekend.:)

~Ravi

• Harleena Singh

2014-08-13 at 6:52 pm

Hi Ravi,

Absolutely! I think if you keep reading such articles, wherever you find them, you’d be so well prepared for your relationships in the future 🙂

You need to be friends with your partner, no matter the kind of relationship you are into. It makes sense to form your relationship based on friendship initially, and then take it to the next level.

Yes, misunderstandings are a part of every relationship and we need to deal with them and not let it go beyond limits or reach to the level of breakups or divorce. With time, understanding, and patience, you can overcome most conflicts in a relationship.

Very true, money is important, at least the amount for living and if there is lack of it, it can surely cause a lot of problems in relationships. I hope these ways can help couples to achieve happiness in their relationship.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice week ahead as well 🙂

26. Anthony.W

2014-08-12 at 4:05 pm

Hi Harlenna,

The infographic is really nice and simple. I can’t agree more about the 9 things especially the last one. Every relationship has conflict and fight, this is something I don’t think we can avoid. But it doesn’t mean it should break our relationships. It’s always about how you handle it with thoughtful actions instead of passively reacting to it.

I always think couples who are in a fight should remind themselves what was the trait they were attracted to each other at the very beginning of their relationship. Is it really worth to sacrifice that thing to just let your emotion explore?

• Harleena Singh

2014-08-13 at 6:46 pm

Hi Anthony – good to have you back after long 🙂

Yes it is and that’s what I liked about it as it conveyed so much in so little. That’s true, conflicts and misunderstandings are a part of life, something that we all have to accept. However, we need to make sure to handle the situation in the right way and make amends, isn’t it?

I like your point and by doing that they’d be reminded of the good times they had, and perhaps going back in time would help them make up faster. Couples need to find ways to bond better through ways that suit them best, not distance themselves from each other, and I hope each one can learn something about being happy in their relationship from these tips.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your views with us 🙂