Most kids love parties, and parents often have to think about cheap party ideas for kids so that it all fits in within their budget.
I’m sure even your parents must have thought of inexpensive party ideas that they tried at home with you.
When you were kids, weren’t you just bothered to have fun with your friends rather than eat fancy food or receive expensive gifts?
Parties as you all know can turn out rather expensive, especially if you are calling lots of people. Additionally, if you have a variety of snacks or food and have return gifts too – it can turn costly.
Surprisingly, there are many cheap party ideas to choose as an option. They turn out to be fun, inexpensive, and even your kids can participate in helping you with things.
“The best lesson we can teach our children is to have fun. It’s infectious, it’s contagious.” ~ Vince Poscente
Tips for Cheap Party Ideas
Here are a few tips to have inexpensive parties at home with your kids, something that my parents tried with me and I did with my kids too.
When you were kids, I’m sure some of these must have been tried at your home too – can you relate or add to the list?
- Keep the guest list small because you don’t really have to invite all your child’s friends. Just a few handful are enough and manageable, and this would help you save up on the expense too.
- Another inexpensive party idea is to have the party at a time that is not a meal time, like have the party either at 10 a.m.-Noon, or then between 3-6 p.m. This way you can limit the amount you serve.
- While sending out invitations for the party, don’t purchase the ready-made cards. Instead, personalize the cards by making your kids draw out something on them. I used to love doing this as a child!
They can just use their imagination and be creative. You and your kids could try to re-purpose things lying at home and make wonderful cards to send out. It’s a great way to create a family bonding time.
If your kids are big enough, they could choose the waste-free electronic medium of sending the invitations through emails.
- Have the party at home if possible as it turns out cheaper. But if your kids insist on having it outside then be a good parent and have it at a place that provides cheaper options of food, decorations, and party favors.
You could choose a game arcade, restaurant, or any place your kids love and which is within your budget. If the weather is nice you can have the party at a park or an open field with lots of place for their play activities.
- Don’t buy anything for the party activities. Try experimenting with cheap party ideas like – encourage your child’s friend’s to bring along their favorite game to the party. Have the classic games like musical chairs, scavengers hunt, treasure hunt, or some dance and music games.
The main aim of the party is to have fun, so let kids turn imaginative and creative with the games. Let them focus on having fun with friends rather than competing and winning prizes.
Similar to low-cost party ideas, you can have party activities and games that are not expensive, yet amusing and fun for your children.
- One of my favorite cheap party ideas is to shop for party supplies at discount stores well in advance. Besides the prices being much less, you get a lot of variety like paper plates, napkins, balloons, streamers, party favors, and all you need.
Have inexpensive party favors or gifts like toys, crayons, or book for older kids. Sometimes you don’t even need such gifts, instead, present each child with a souvenir like a picture of the birthday that they will value and remember.
- Keep the decorations simple. There is no end to decorating the place with banners, fancy tissue paper pom-poms, lights and other stuff. If the decorations are at a distance, kids aren’t really bothered to even look at it.
Even using simple balloons are great because children really don’t bother whether you get cheap balloons or expensive ones.
You could even make your kids draw out funny faces on the balloons for fun. These balloons can turn out to be a cheap party idea for party favors as the guest leave.
- Even the food or snacks served don’t have to be expensive. Yes, there is no extent to what you can do but kids can have the simplest and cheapest food and eat it all up, without even saying a word.
All you can do is be creative with what you serve. Try some fun and cheap party ideas like pizzas, hamburgers, hot dogs, wafers, or French fries, which are all time favorite with kids.
Even when you shop for the ingredients, choose the main market and roadside stands. Purchase fresh seasonal fresh fruit and vegetables wherever possible.
Buying a cake, if it’s a birthday party, is one option that often turns expensive. Try making one yourself and decorating it. Or make enough cupcakes to give one to each child, and you can decorate them with faces or use color frosting to write their names on it – they will love it!
Remember to instill gratitude in your kids so that they thank their guests when they accept gifts.
Some parents prefer that the guests bring in donations to give to a good cause or charity. But yes, being kids – most of them love gifts too!
With some people, such parties can turn into competitions of who spends the most, which is simply a waste. It’s best to stand apart from the crowd and try out these inexpensive ways to have your child’s party.
“Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.” ~ Michael Jordan
Halloween is just round the corner, and a time when most parents often think of cheap party ideas for their kids.
It just requires a little effort to turn your normal party for children into a Halloween one. Just be creative with your kids and watch the fun!
If you have a teen at home then you might like to read an earlier post of mine about throwing a teen party for Halloween here.
What cheap party ideas for Halloween would you recommend for your kids or teens? Or do you remember how your parents planned it for you?
I loved this video that tells you fun and economical ways to have a party for your kids.
Fun Halloween Party Ideas: Halloween Food and Games For Kids ~ Howdini ~ YouTube Video
Over to you –
What cheap party ideas did your parents have when you were a child? Do you also have some inexpensive party ideas besides the ones mentioned above? Share in the comments below.
Photo Credit: dewolff