Let Children Behave Like Children
Are you treating your children like grownups at an early age? You need to read this to know if you’re not letting your children behave like children.
My children are grown and have children of their own; yes, you can call me Grandma.
However, when I look back at how fast those years have gone by, I wish I had done things a little different.
This article contains a portion of wisdom that I learned along the way. My wish is that it will help you keep those priorities straight and let your children behave like children, and enjoy those early years.
Where are we going wrong
Are we destroying our children in today’s world and taking away their childhood? How are we letting our children behave like grownups?
I want you to consider this example – you go to the beauty salon to get your hair or nails done and there is this mommy with her 3 year old getting their nails done.
It is okay for the mommy, but do you think the 3 year old kid should be getting into this? Sometimes it’s a 5 year olds birthday party and they are getting dressed up like grownups, putting on fancy clothes. The party could cost their parents $200 to $300 easily.
Shouldn’t this amount be put into the child’s college fund, or used for something worthwhile for your children?Why are we trying to treat these children like they are all grown up?
Children grow up fast enough by themselves. I heard a mother the other day ask her kindergartner if she has a boyfriend. Give me a break, what does a 5 year old need with a boyfriend!
Are we demanding the wrong things out of our children and adding stress to their little lives by:
- Putting them in school at an earlier age.
- Giving them home work starting in Kindergarten.
- Putting them in sports when they are only 3 years old.
- Filling their world full of activities, day after day.
I realize that society has a lot to do with this. So, are we letting the world’s ideas raise our children and let the children behave like grownups? Don’t you think we need to take control of raising our own children?
“If you want to see what children can do, you must stop giving them things.” – Norman Douglas
Let the Children Be Children and Play
Have you ever seen 5 year olds having a birthday party in their back yard? They play pin the tail on the donkey or tag. If nothing else, they are running around chasing each other just for the heck of it.
You go outside any given day and do you hear children playing outside. Not so much! They are told that it is too hot for them to play outside or a stranger will find them and take them away.
Yes, maybe there are some bad people running around, so you need to be outside with them or have them in your back yard playing.
Let these children behave like children, discover the beauty of nature, and use their imagination.
Ways to Let Children Behave Like Children
What is a parent supposed to do, so that those little ones have a childhood? Here are some ways how you can let children behave like children.
1. Don’t send them to school the minute they can walk, talk and potty trained. Don’t get me wrong here they do need some schooling. Maybe a little preschool for a couple of days a week for a few hours a day at age 3 or 4.
After all they are going to be spending the next 20 years or more in school.
2. Limit the activities you put them in. I look out at soccer fields these days and they are full of 3 year olds and 4 year olds. Most of them have a look on their face that says, ‘What am I doing here?’
There will be many years ahead for them to play sports, when they can understand the rules.
3. Dress them like a kid, not like teenagers. Kids learn fast enough about fashion, so put clothes on them that can get dirty and they can play in.
Lose the shoes that have the higher heels on them, so they have something to look forward to. Don’t you remember when you were finally big enough for high heel shoes? You were so proud, because you were finally getting big enough to be a lady.
Just let children behave their age.
4. Do they really need to have a play date? Dating is for teenagers and adults. Come on mom let’s be honest now, you need to get out of the house, so let’s call it what it is. Mom’s visiting a friend and the kids can play.
5. Stop trying to keep them busy at all times. Have you ever watched a child playing with their toys and talking to themselves like they have a friend there?
It is good if children behave like children and use their imagination. When we are always running them around to this activity or play date, do they have the time needed to use their own mind and make up their little stories as they play?
They are going to learn to be social in elementary school.
“To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today” – Anonymous
What does it take for children to behave like children
What do the kids really need to do to be kids? Here are three aspects that should be a part of every kid’s life so that children behave like children:
- Being able to have time to play and explore their little world.
- Being home and learning from mom or dad how to ride that new tricycle or bicycle.
- Playing softball or soccer in the back yard with mom and dad.
Those first 5 years are important years in a child’s life when we need to let them know the rules and boundaries.
Also, teach them right from wrong, and teach them about the love of a family besides other things. Children need their parents in those early years, not all the socializing.
Let them play their games while they are little; trust me, they do learn to socialize early enough.
I hear many parents complain about their busy and complicated lives these days. When we let our children behave like children we are not running them all over the place and treating them to painted nails, fancy grown up clothes and sports activities they really don’t want to be at.
Don’t let society rule your child’s life and yours. Simplify your life and help your children behave like children and enjoy those young years. They will remember and thank you for it.
Children are wonderful just as they are without treating them as adults.
Over to you – Are you letting your children behave like children or do you find your life is consumed by running them from place to place, because that is what children are supposed to be doing these days? As a parent, share what you are doing to let your children behave like a child in the comments below.
Photo Credit: gummy72