Spousal relationships, children, household chores, bills to be paid, can all cause stress in the family. Maximum stress in the family arises due to the day-to-day stressors like infidelity, financial problems, loss of job, or crisis in the family like a death of a family member, natural calamities, divorce, and others.
A certain amount of stress in the family is inevitable, though how a family handles and copes with the stress is what really counts. The best way to know if your family is experiencing stress is through the individual feelings of family members. When there is stress in the family, some of the following things are noticed:
- There is less time to spend together as a family.
- There are mostly explosive arguments.
- Most of the meals are eaten hurriedly or in haste.
- Family members tend to escape into their own work or indulge into other activities.
- There is always a sense of urgency.
- There is a desire for leading a simpler, peaceful, and content life.
- A few of the family members are left with a sense of guilt, with no time to make amends or the courage to make an effort.
- Everyone in the family seems to be constantly rushing from place to place, with no time to spare for each other.
- There seem to be no time to relax, no outings, no get together, and no relaxation with the family where family members can discuss, talk, and just be together.
- The rooms of the house remain isolated and quiet.
- Most of the conversations are centered on time and tasks, rather than on people and their feelings.
- There is a sense of frustration with too much to do, leading to bickering as well.
- Parents remain stressed because of their children’s actions.
- Children remain stressed because of their parents, more so if they are having any kind of problems in their relationships, or at their school, college, and work place.
Stress in the family not only affects the sufferer but it also affects the moods and attitudes of those around them. Stress in the family varies, though learning to cope and manage the stress together strengthens the family, and makes it easier to cope with the various family crisis as well.
You may also like to read my article on coping with family stress, something that all of us look forward to know and deal with.
What are the other factors that add to the stress in the family? Do share your views.
Photo Credit: Danilo Rizzuti