Don’t you all wait for holidays or vacations? But sometimes, I’m sure you must be running out of ideas about the things to do during such holidays.
You all know that holidays and vacations are all about getting away from the daily hustle and bustle of life and being with each other.
It doesn’t matter whether you are married, have kids, or if you are single – you all need a getaway break!
If you‘ve read my recent post on holiday fun, you would know why holidays are so important.
That makes it all the more necessary to know exactly what things to do in your holidays.
Here are some holiday fun ideas that can set you rolling and enjoying these holidays.
Things To Do In Your Holidays
Vacations are a wonderful getaway, especially if you are with your family and loved ones. There are plenty of things you can do during the holidays with them.
Choose any of these and just get started!
If you have a family, you can have fun together by doing all or any of these together –
• Just get together and have fun Canyoning, Kayaking, Water rafting, and Mountain biking if you enjoy these.
• Plan out and have a holiday fun game night by just playing various games that interest you all.
• Head over to the beaches, visit parks and other locations while on your vacation. Don’t forget to carry toys, DVD’s, and board games too, just in-case you need them to keep your kids busy.
• Those of you who are headed towards the hills, you’re bound to find lots of picnic spots and walking trails. Choose the ones suitable for your kids and keep taking breaks and having fun.
I had a lot of fun when I recently visited the hills – not to mention the various picnic spots and waterfalls that just took my breath away!
• Camping and hiking are what most kids love, and they are affordable too. So, plan one out for your kids or join them and there’s lots you can do together like raising a tent, gathering firewood, and going for nature hikes. Nature trails were another thing my kids thoroughly enjoyed.
Remember, that when you are out a lot, wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat because if you get burnt, you might ruin your fun.
• Don’t forget to teach your kids to give back and helping others in whatever way you can during your vacations too, because there are many who aren’t as lucky as you to go on a vacation.
“Vacation: Two weeks on the sunny sands – and the rest of the year on the financial rocks.” ~ Sam Ewing
If you are home – boredom can set in for your kids, and if you cannot afford an expensive trip, or feel that you would rather stay home and have a family holiday, then here are some things to do you’d like –
• Try out having fun by doing things like making an ornament if you are fond of craft works, or make a Gingerbread house. Just decorating all of these is an activity in itself.
• There are many holiday fun programs and activities too for children in most of the local areas. So, if you aren’t going for a long holiday or prefer staying at home for your holidays, you can try out those.
They have many activities like dress-up days, craft workshops, movie screenings, indoor and outdoor games that are all designed for children of various ages, and all for a minimal rate, depending on your location.
• As a family, you could even explore places like the local museums, libraries, galleries, sports and leisure center, gardens and other local places of interest that you’ve not had the time so far to visit as a family together.
• Plan out and cook together. Summer holiday fun activities in our house include making ice creams and ice lollies, and even smoothies at times, besides the cakes my kids loving baking.
I can vouch on this one because there are days when as a family we take a break and just get involved in the kitchen and have our share of holiday fun being together.
Do read my earlier post on how you can enjoy family celebrations in your holidays too.
• Go out for a drive and watch a movie and eat out with your kids. Anything that makes you spend time with your children works.
• Keep a look out for coupons for the craft fair, local zoo, heritage sites, and recreational facilities.
“A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking.” ~ Earl Wilson
If you are single or without a family and kids, and plan on having some holiday fun by just being at home and relaxing, there are many ways of doing that too.
Check out these things to do list that I follow at times –
• Find a good book to read and just get lost in it! There used to be a time I loved reading and would read hundreds of pages a day.
Just grab yourself a cup of tea, coffee, or your favorite drink and start off till you don’t end it all!
• Relax yourself by watching a good movie, whether it’s a romantic or action one, depending on the kind you like. Or perhaps a great television show might do the trick for you.
It surely works wonders for me and takes me away from the daily stresses of life. Just put on your pajamas, grab some popcorn, and enjoy your movie!
I can spend hours watching a romantic one, though again, it’s been ages I really relaxed and saw a complete one, so, a good reminder for me too.
• Unwind yourself by listening to music. Just turn on the radio or listen to your favorite songs on your players and enjoy!
Music surely helps me relax and de-stress and I use it whenever I am not writing, especially when I am out for my walks, cooking, dance a step with it, or just otherwise.
• Relax yourself by practicing yoga and meditation. They DO work and if you haven’t tried them, do give them a try because they help lessen your stress.
• Spend time with your family and friends. Yes, this is one of the simple things to do to have holiday fun being at home and with your loved ones, yet it’s the one that’s often ignored.
Switch off the television and other electronic devices and just be with each other, talk and laugh and have fun.
• Go for a long drive because taking a leisurely drive without any motive can be a relaxing getaway too. It calms your mind and helps you feel renewed and refreshed.
• Spoil yourself a little by taking a spa treatment, or just float away to your own exotic place by having a bubble bath! Put on some light music, light a few candles, and enjoy yourself.
• Experiment with various dishes in your kitchen, which otherwise you don’t find time for. I do a lot of those when I want to have my share of fun during the holidays, though I need to make time for it now.
• Decorate and do up your house as you don’t find time for it otherwise. It gives you a ‘feel-good’ feeling when you reshuffle the place or re-do a few things.
• Go shopping! Ah…don’t you love that! I guess if you are a woman, you would, though not necessarily.
But a part of having a little bit of holiday fun includes going ahead and buying something that you might think twice about otherwise. Keep a look out for deals and discounts that are always up during this time of the year.
You might like to read my post on various ways to save money during the holidays.
• Indulge a little because holidays are also time for many things to do like partying, eating, drinking, and making merry. You could do all of these with a few friends, or family, depending on your choice.
• Get creative and pick up some hobby or do something that you’ve been keeping away for later. The holidays are the right time to get into the mood because you don’t have work always on your mind.
Now, I’m sure you will never be short of holiday fun ideas and the things to do on such occasions. There can be many more holiday activities that I’d like you to let me know in the comments.
Remember to make the best out of your holiday moments as these not only recharge you but also help you live life to its fullest!
Speaking of myself, my vacations are coming to an end, but I’m going to cherish the memories of the lovely time we all had as a family.
Next time, I might choose some of your ideas of the things to do in the holidays and make the most of those days. 🙂
Over to you –
What fun things do you do in your holidays? Which holiday activities would you recommend for a family, or the single and married lots? Share your fun ideas about the things to do in your vacations in the comments below.
Photo Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.