As evident from the title, this post is about the blogging basics for beginners.
If you have decided to start blogging or haven’t achieved your blogging goals yet, then you can’t afford to miss this post.
I have the essentials of blogging laid out for you.
You will also learn more tips after reading the expert views of other seasoned bloggers in the comments section.
As a beginner, it is important that you know the basics of blogging to be a successful blogger.
In my four years of blogging journey, I have come across many bloggers. I have seen some of them rise to success, but I have also witnessed many bloggers who quit blogging altogether.
Yes, blogging is not easy and this is one of the harsh realities of blogging.
However, if you understand the blogging basics, you can be assured of a long haul as a blogger.
You will also avoid the mistakes of blogging that many newbie bloggers make. It’s okay to make mistakes but we should learn from them, shouldn’t we?
You can treat this post as a beginners mini guide to blogging, but I’m sure it will also help many bloggers who have been blogging for some time but not yet quite touched the mark they aspired for.
Before we go ahead, here is a small announcement.
I’m going to start a new blog, and it will be only about blogging. Yes, you can call it a blog for the bloggers, by a blogger. 🙂
My new blog is harleenasingh.com, and you are ALL cordially invited to subscribe to the invitation list to know when it is launched.
An Overview of Contents
The CRUX Of Blogging
It’s true that blogging is a combination of tasks and it is not just writing.
Blogging mainly includes researching, formatting, making it visually appealing (creating specific images related to the post), optimizing it for the search engines, and then post promotion.
Most bloggers go through this basic process in blogging. However, not every blog or blogger becomes successful in achieving the desired results.
Successful bloggers do the same thing but in a different way or do it by adding more pizzazz to it. 🙂
They know that you need to rise above the basics of blogging and go to the advanced level, which is the CRUX of blogging. That’s their secret sauce to success.
CRUX is an abbreviation, where:
C means CONTENT
R means RELATIONSHIPS
UX means USER EXPERIENCE
You knew it, right?
However, knowing is not enough and you need to practically implement CRUX on your blog and in your blogging methodology.
There are tons of different factors that go into ranking well, but the biggest is high-quality content. – David Sinick
You know content is the king. Some may try to dethrone content with SEO or link building, but the fact is that “quality content” will always rule the blogosphere.
Content is the backbone without which your blog cannot rise to success.
I had written a post on how the writing process can help to create compelling content. I hope it helps you improve your blog post content.
Here are some more quality content writing strategies that I wrote in one of my guest posts.
Most importantly, your content should be:
- Well-researched and supported with authentic facts.
- Meaningful, with the end purpose of helping the readers.
- Unique and useful with fresh matter.
- Written in a compelling style along with impressive images.
- Optimized and strengthened with keywords.
- Formatted with tempting title and compartmentalized with helpful headings.
If you get all these things right along with implementing the points from the two linked posts mentioned above, you would definitely have great content and do wonders as a blogger.
Links are valuable, but Google still gives importance to quality content. You can read its guidelines to create valuable content here.
If content is the king, then relationship is the queen.
Unless your content is backed up with highly effective SEO, it would spend its life anonymously – as if living in exile, no matter how great it is.
This is when relationships come to aid. Building relationships creates engagement , which makes your blog lively.
This in turn ensures a regular supply of traffic to make your content valuable and royal.
Relationship is the breath of your blog (though SEO can be termed as power breathing!). Combining them both will give super power to your blog.
It will keep your blog pulsating with visitors and keep it active.
At The ABC, we teach our blog members the importance of building relationships. The members visit each other’s blogs through post promotions and reciprocate in all ways.
As a blog starter you should:
- Enable comments on your blog. Comments are really required – read this post to know why. You may also use the CommentLuv plugin if you want to. It helps new bloggers get comments, which helps in relationship building.
- Reply to the comments on your own blog posts.
- Visit, read, and comment on other blogs, and those who visit your blog. Don’t forget to share the posts on social media too!
- Find influencers in your niche and connect with them through their blogs and social media profiles.
- Join communities like The ABC and bond with other bloggers.
- Create round-up posts on your blog and invite other bloggers.
- Interview other bloggers and influencers on your blog.
- Guest post on other blogs and invite other bloggers to guest post on your blog.
- Mention and link to other bloggers and blogs in your blog posts.
Remember that the search engines such as Google like interaction and engagement on the blog. The only way to do that is to create quality content and long lasting mutual relationships.
You can think of user experience as the palace of the king and queen. 🙂
People will be interested to meet the king and queen only if their palace is beautiful, quick to reach, and easy to navigate.
Why would anybody want to meet them if they don’t get the royal treatment?
Similarly, the user experience of your blog, which includes its speed, navigation, and the user interface, is one of the main deciding factors for people to visit your blog.
If you are a beginner or a seasoned blogger you should:
- Make your blog load fast. Remember that many search engines including Google, consider speed as one of its ranking signals. You should start from fundamentals here & look for web hosting services that offer speed and read this post on Aha!NOW to learn how you can speed up your blog.
- Choose a better coded theme, preferably a premium theme for your blog.
- Declutter your theme and make good use of the white space. Have minimum number of plugins and widgets on the blog.
- Use navigational buttons and options throughout your blog on all the pages and posts, so it is easy to move from one page or post to another.
- Adopt a color scheme that makes your blog look good – but don’t overdo it!
- Make your blog mobile-friendly so that the mobile visitors can easily access and view your blog on their Smartphone and iphones.
We, at Aha!NOW, provide blog services to fasten your WordPress blog and make it mobile-friendly.
Blogging Basics For Beginners
I hope you liked and understood the CRUX of blogging. It is content, relationships, and user experience – you should imprint that in your heart and mind.
The blogging basics are simple indeed – create helpful and meaningful content, and indulge in mutually beneficial reciprocal relationships for a successful blog.
Blogging for beginners is no bed of roses.
Initially, you may face many blogging problems, however, at The ABC, you can discuss them with other fellow bloggers and find solutions too.
Don’t worry about your blog’s Alexa rank, just implement the CRUX of blogging on your blog and you are good to go.
Sooner or later, you are bound to get a good Alexa rank even if you do not indulge in link building.
If you want to be a professional blogger, then you should read this post that has golden advice directly from the probloggers.
If you wish to learn from my personal blogging experience, I’ve laid it all out in this post.
It’s only when you have cleared the basic stage that you should think of making money by blogging. But start creating your list from day one. I learnt this very late, but never too late to start!
Over To You –
What are the basics of blogging that you have personally experienced? What blogging tips and strategy would you suggest to the new bloggers? Share in the comments.
Photo Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.Net
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.